Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gimme them old-time burger stands - Jaime's Dairy Treat, Richmond


As a fan of old time hamburger stands I was excited to discover Jaime’s on US 90A in Richmond, just east of FM 762. It does not disappoint.

The menu is extensive and includes soft serve ice cream treats, dogs and chili pie. Sides include french fries, onion rings, and tater tots. Special items include tacos, burritos, enchiladas and home-made tamales for $7 per dozen. Given the name of the place and the fact most of the help appears to be Hispanic I had high hopes for the Mexican offerings but was disappointed in the tamales and enchiladas which were nothing special and I haven’t tried the other items. I don’t think the tamales were home-made.

The burgers are hot and fresh off the grill - like the ones from the well known Someburger stand on 11th street in the Heights - so hot and fresh you have to pick them up and bring them to your lips gingerly. The burgers are a little smaller than a Someburger which is fine with me; the double cheeseburger is just the right size for my appetite.

The sign in the window indicates the place is open 7 days until 7pm but it has been closed several times when it should have been open when I’ve made the trip. The burgers have been a little inconsistent but when they’re on I actually prefer the burgers here to the one’s at Someburger.

The place does a good business. People squeeze their cars into the small parking lot anyway they can and eat in the car or at one of 4 picnic tables (2 covered) or take away. With hot, fresh, made to order burgers like these I can’t for the life of me figure why anybody in the Richmond-Rosenberg area would go to one of the chains for a pre-fabricated burger.

No comments: