I have been frequenting the Arandas Bakery on Beechnut (btw I-60 and Gessner. I prefer not to get on the Loop (or I-69) and make long trips to get food these days. Although they don't have teleras, my favorite Mexican bread (besides tortillas) I have found some desirable items I keep seeking out.
Orejas (ears, obviously - or if you speak French - Palmiers), cemita (w/sesame seeds) of some sort, Pan de Elote (Mexican version of cornbread) and a, er, sausage kolache?
I had discovered Cemita de Anis at the big Fiesta on Hillcroft years ago and loved it, this is all they had at Arandas - not the same thing (Fiesta, here I come). The orejas are slightly sweetened and also come dipped in chocolate. Chocolate originated in Mexico so you'd expect it to be pretty good, Huh? Don't ask me - have never tried it. I'm not fond of chocolate at breakfast - that goes back to childhood and I'm sticking to it. A sausage kolache I had previously was slightly larger and had what was probably a 100% beef wiener, extra large, likely Hebrew National - this one was smaller and not pure beef, I think. The earlier example had a single jalapeno slice attached to the top and it was hot, unlike every other sausage and jalapeno kolache I've ever had. This one had no heat and neither had any cheese. I guess just about every ethnic bakery in Houston offers a version of the Texas version of a kolache - this is one of the best I've encountered. But get there early, I think they regularly run out quickly.
This is a close-up of the Pan de Elote from a previous visit - more like a corn muffin than corn bread. It is sweet; I suspect the sweetness and color comes from piloncillo. I love these at room temp, heated up a tad or toasted.
I have never gotten into .most Pan Dulce (are my finds here considered Pan Dulce????). I understand Conchas are having a foodie moment in the sun, per the NYT. No Houston bakery mentioned, alas. If you know of a local panaderia that has them, please post a comment.
And they have tamales - pork and chicken varieties only, hot and steaming, available by the half-dozen I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment