Sunday, May 24, 2009

Southwest side eats

Like most Houstonians I've always been ready (and inured) to driving long distances to get a good meal. A couple of years ago it was nothing for me to put 70 or 80 miles round trip on the car for lunch, just to go to a place that had a dish I especially liked. I've described my part of town (I'm in one of the subdivisions that is part of the 'Greater Fondren Southwest' superneighborhood - at least I think that's what it's called) as restaurant deprived. And it always seemed like the foodies in town and the newspaper reviewers found the best eats elsewhere, if not all the way across town then at least half way across town.

A year and a half ago, when talk of $4 a gallon gas started getting serious, I set out to explore the Southwest side and see if it deserved more credit and if I could find ways to save on the fuel bill. Since then I've found a number of over-looked gems, some of which are reported on here, others on discussion boards or b4-u-eat.com. I'm sure there are others still to be discovered.

I've also gotten a lot of e-mails and comments from others on the SW side so I've decided to label reviews about restaurants in this area for convenience sake. Look for the Label 'Southwest side' at the bottom of posts. Clicking on that will bring up all the reviews which I've categorized as being on this side in reverse order as published.

The area is defined loosely but you will find nothing further east than S. Main Street, only a few further north than Bellaire, and only a few as far south or west as Highway 6. Actually it depends on how long it takes me to get to a place from my place rather than a strictly limited area.

I hope this helps some others who read this blog; it'll be a convenience to me, anyway, when I try to remember some of the places I've tried.

2 comments:

Ziggy Smogdust said...

keep the SW side reviews coming. I really appreciate it!

Cynthia S. said...

Yeah! Thanks! Med Center people appreciate it!